home > wolseley

History of Wolseley

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Wolseley was part of the City of Winnipeg when it amalgamated with the surrounding municipalities to form the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Wolseley is one of the most well-known residential neighbourhoods in Winnipeg, its residents often taking the fore in local environmental and developmental issues. As part of Winnipeg's West End, the area, while it has some development in the 19th century, was rural in nature until the beginning of the new century. With a demand for modern housing came the subdivision of large tracts of land into residential lots, then the construction of homes and businesses as well as the creation of the modern street system and streetcar lines and other modern advances. While the area north of Portage Avenue, generally speaking, filled with middle income workers and their families, the southern area filled with a more exclusive group - here the managers, doctors, lawyers and other professionals built large 2- and 2½-storey homes in a variety of finishes and designs. Schools, parks and other facilities also developed. The stock of single-family dwellings dates mainly from the 1900-1914 period, although the time between the Wars is also well represented, especially along the river and in the west portion of the neighbourhood. Apartment blocks, a very popular building type of the 1906-1915 era, is also well represented in this area.