home > bridgwater centre

History of Bridgwater Centre

Home

Bridgwater Centre was part of the Rural Municipality of Fort Garry (incorporated in 1912) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

This area was formerly known as Waverley West and is located south of Bishop Grandin Boulevard and north of the Perimeter Highway between Waverley Street (east) and Brady Road (west). The City of Winnipeg, recognizing a need for new housing, entered into a 20-year agreement with the Province of Manitoba (which owned a significant amount of the land) to develop building lots for residential construction. An estimated 11,000 new houses, apartments and complexes will be built through a series of phased developments: 

· Phase One - Area A is now being developed and is known as Bridgwater Forest (Neighbourhood 5.68)

· Phase Two - Area B is undeveloped and is known as Waverley West B (Neighbourhood 5.681)

· Phase Three- Area C is now being developed and is known as South Pointe (Neighbourhood 5.682)

· Phase Four - Area D is undeveloped and is known as Waverley West D (Neighbourhood 5.683)

· Phase Five - Area E is now being developed and is known as Bridgwater Trails (Neighbourhood 5.684)

- Phase Six - Area F is now being developed and is known as Bridgwater Lakes (Neighbourhood 5.685)

· Phase Seven - is now being developed and is known as Bridgwater Centre (Neighbourhood 5.686)