home > tyne-tees

History of Tyne-Tees

Home
Heritage Resources

Tyne-Tees was part of the City of East Kildonan (incorporated on July 1, 1957) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Tyne-Tees is an industrial neighbourhood that began to develop in the 1970s with the construction of factories, warehouses and other commercial property. One of the most important occupants of the neighbourhood is Alsip's Building Products and Services, 1 Cole Avenue , which was founded by William Alsip, a brickmaker from Chicago, Illinois in the 1890s. Incorporated on November 20, 1905 as Alsip's Brick, Tile and Lumber Company, it provided a significant amount of building material during the height of Winnipeg's expansion period, 1900-1914. The company has been handed down through five generations of the family (http://alsips.ca/).