home > transcona south

History of Transcona South

Home
Heritage Resources

Transcona South was part of the City of Transcona when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Transcona South became part of the new City of Transcona in 1912 but it was a struggle. The initial plan to incorporate the City did not include the new railway shops or the property and citizens living south of them, because many residents to the north sited increased costs related to fire, water and sewage systems, as well as a need to construct an overhead bridge over the railway yards and shops.

But Premier Roblin and his government favoured including both the southern region and the shops in the new boundaries and forwarded a plan to include a strip of land south of the shops measuring 4.8 kilometres east and west from the centre of the facility and 1.6 kilometres south from the tracks.

When this plan was publicized, many people living in the north were furious. They organized a delegation and appeared before the Law Amendments Committee of the Legislature during debate over the incorporation bill. In the end, part of the south and the shops were included in the new Town of Transcona, South Transcona became Ward 4.

Like the rest of Transcona, Transcona South has seen ups and downs in its growth and development, intimately tied to the railways and the shops located along their northern border.