home > st. john's park

History of St. John's Park

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

St. John's Park was part of the City of Winnipeg when it amalgamated with surrounding municipalities to form the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

St. John's Park is the location of Western Canada's earliest permanent, European residential settlements, its non-First Nations occupation dates to the arrival of the Selkirk Settlers in 1812-1813. Its streets bear the names of some of Western Canada's earliest European settlers. It is also part of the Scotia Street area, a tight-knit region located between Main Street and the Red River from St. John'sPark to KildonanPark. The neighbourhood includes St. John's Park, one of the earliest green spaces set aside by the City of Winnipeg. It also included, for more than a century, a brewing house, located just north of Redwood Avenue. Operated as Drewery's Brewery, it became Molson's Brewery later in the 20th century before being demolished.