home > st. john's

History of St. John's

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

St. John's was part of the City of St. James when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

St. John's is one of the more established neighbourhoods of the North End, its development occurring shortly after the turn-of-the-century and being virtually complete by the mid-1920s. Residential structures pre-dating 1900 can be found on most streets in the neighbourhood. Churches, retail structures along Main Street, schools and other amenities have also been established through the years.