home > pembina strip

History of Pembina Strip

Home
Heritage Resources

Pembina Strip was part of the Rural Municipality of Fort Garry (incorporated in 1912) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Pembina Strip developed after World War II and includes extensive commercial property along both sides of Pembina Highway which cuts this neighbourhood in half, north-south. Much of the remainder of the district is filled with large multi-tenant blocks and apartment buildings.