home > mcmillan

History of McMillan

Home
Heritage Buildings

McMillan was part of the City of Winnipeg when it amalgamated with the surrounding municipalities to form the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

McMillan is an oddly shaped residential district in south Winnipeg's Fort Rouge area. While some housing was built prior to 1900, much of its development occurred in the 1900-1914 period, as Winnipeg's population increased dramatically and residential development struggled to keep pace. Established neighbourhoods such as Fort Rouge expanded as former agricultural holdings were surveyed into city streets to be filled with modern housing, both single family dwellings and apartment blocks, the latter becoming popular in North America after 1900 and nowhere more popular in Canada than Winnipeg during this time.

Commercial property is found along the neighbourhood's borders, Corydon Avenue on the south, Osborne Street on the east and Stafford Street on the west. Wellington Crescent, one of Winnipeg's best-known and exclusive addresses, forms the northern boundary of McMillan.