home > logan-c.p.r.

History of Logan-C.P.R.

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Logan-C.P.R. was part of the City of Winnipeg when it amalgamated with neighbouring municipalities to become the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The Logan-C.P.R. neighbourhood's development is intimately connected to the establishment of the massive Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR)'s switching yards and Weston Shops in Winnipeg's northwest region after 1882. As such, much of the development occurred prior to 1900 and combined warehouse and factory construction with small, cottage-like residential structures for the workers of these facilities. A small amount of this housing remains along Patrick and Laura Streets. Another grouping of homes, dating from the first decade of the 20th century, is located in the western end of the neighbourhood.

The ArlingtonStreetBridge is one of two bridges taking vehicles and pedestrians above and across the CPR yards and has its south end in the neighbourhood.