home > kildonan park

History of Kildonan Park

Home
Heritage Resources

Kildonan Park was part of the City of West Kildonan (incorporated in 1961) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The City had established a Public Parks Board in early 1893 to oversee the creation of parks and greenspaces in and around Winnipeg. By the end of its first year, the Board had acquired four small parks: FortRouge, St. John's, Victoria and Central. Four additional ones created in 1894 and in 1909, the City purchased 28.7 hectares of land along the Red River in the northern part of the City and by 1911 had opened KildonanPark. Ten years later, it opened Kildonan Golf Course, its first municipal course.

Amenities at the park include kilometres of paths, walkways and flower gardens, a public swimming pool and Rainbow Stage, an open-air live theatre venue.