home > central st. boniface

History of Central St. Boniface

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Central St. Boniface was part of the City of St. Boniface when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

This neighbourhood is one of the oldest in Winnipeg, tracing its history back to the very beginning of the settlement in the early 1800s. It includes many of Western Canada's most important structures including St. Boniface Hospital, the Grey Nuns' Convent, St. Boniface Cathedral and cemetery and St. Boniface College.

The neighbourhood includes several blocks of older, single-family dwellings, many of which date to the 1900-1925 period. Commercial property is concentrated along Provencher Boulevard, Goulet Street and Marion Street. Institutional, industrial and multi-tenant residential properties are also found in the area.