home > bruce park

History of Bruce Park

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Bruce Park was part of the City of St. James when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The area known today as the neighbourhood of Bruce Park was originally organized as part of the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia, incorporated in 1880, which encompassed the former parishes of Headingley, St. Charles, St. James and part of St. Boniface on both the north and south sides of the Assiniboine River. The size of this large municipality was steadily decreased as new government organizations were formed: Rural Municipality of Charleswood (1912); Town of Tuxedo (1913); and the Rural Municipality of St. James (1921).

The Rural Municipality of St. James, ostensibly the urban part of the Assiniboine Municipality, became the City of St. James in 1956. In 1967 the Town of Brooklands merged with St. James as did the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia two years later to form the City of St. James-Assiniboia. It was this city that became part of the City of Winnipeg under Unicity in 1972.

The neighbourhood includes Bruce Park south of Portage Avenue which includes part of Truro Creek, and Bourkevale Community Club, named for early and influential area resident John Palmer Bourke (1791-1851)[1] and his many descendants who donated land for the park. It includes lawn bowling greens, outdoor rinks and a soccer pitch.

Kiltarton Towers, a pair of 17-storey apartment blocks, was completed just south of Portage Avenue at the east end of this neighbourhood in 1969. There are other apartment block developments located along Portage Avenue.


[1] J. M. Bumsted, Dictionary of Manitoba Biography (Winnipeg, MB: University of Manitoba Press, 1999).