home > brooklands

History of Brooklands

Home
Heritage Resources

Brooklands was part of the City of St. James when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The area known today as the neighbourhood of Brooklands was original organized as part of the Rural Municipality of Rosser in 1893. A portion separated in 1921 and became the Village of Brooklands. The Village became the Town of Brooklands in 1961 and it joined with the City of St. James and the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia in 1967 to form the City of St. James-Assiniboia (popularly known simply as the City of St. James).

Its residential development occurred, in part, as a response to the need for housing for workers from the Canadian Pacific Railway's Weston Shops, located nearby. There is commercial, including retail and hotels, on the west side of Keewatin Street, manufacturing ventures on the north side of Notre Dame Avenue and also north of Logan Avenue.