home > agassiz

History of Agassiz

Home
Heritage Resources

Agassiz was part of the Rural Municipality of Fort Garry (incorporated in 1912) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Much is happening in the small neighbourhood of Agassiz, located just north of the University of Manitoba Campus. Home to the Southwood Golf and Country Club (founded in 1890s), Manitoba's oldest golf course, the Club is moving south to St. Norbert to make way for amenities associated with the new stadium located at the corner of Chancellor Matheson Road and University Crescent. The residential component dates mainly from the 1960s and is located in the north portion of the neighbourhood.

Français