home > tuxedo industrial

History of Tuxedo Industrial


Tuxedo Industrial was part of the Town of Tuxedo when it became part of the when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The Tuxedo Industrial area developed because of the locating of two large cement plants, Canada Cement Company (now Lefarge Canada) and Inland Cement Company, in the area. It had both Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railways lines within its borders and the latter developed its Intermodal Terminal in the north end of the district.

The neighbourhood is also home to the Fort Whyte Centre, 2505 McGillvray Boulevard. This 260-hectare environmental education facility began in 1955 as the Fort Whyte Waterfowl Sanctuary and today includes forest, wetlands and lakes with a diverse variety of wild life.