home > trappistes

History of Trappistes

Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Trappistes became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

While most of this neighbourhood is farmland, there is one significant heritage element, the Trappist Monastery built on the banks of the La Salle River at the beginning of the 20th century. The Trappist Monks order was founded in France and on the appeal of St. Boniface Archibishop Taché sent a party to St. Norbert in 1892 to begin construction of a monastery. The extensive grounds of the complex, which grew to include a large church and connected monastery, a guest house (originally the monastery) and barns, allowed the monks to remain self-sufficient. The dairy cattle provided the milk for production of the famous Trappist cheese.

In 1975, the property was sold and the monks moved to a new home near Holland, Manitoba. The site stood abandoned for a short time (only the church/monastery, guest house and gate house remained) and Heritage St. Norbert began to investigate new uses for the complex. A fire in 1983 destroyed the church/monastery, the ruins remain today as part of a Provincial Heritage park (1988). The Guest House was partially renovated and operates today as the St. Norbert Arts Centre (http://www.snac.mb.ca/info/history.htm).