home > niakwa park

History of Niakwa Park


Niakwa Park was part of the City of St. Boniface when it combined with surrounding municipalities to become the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

This neighbourhood is taken up nearly completely by a city golf course. The residential development is located in the extreme southeast corner. It project was approved by St. Boniface City Council in November 1954 and entailed the construction of 160 homes on 16.2 hectares of land, the extension of Archibald Street from Elizabeth Road to Fermor Avenue. It was the $2 million plan of Thompson Lumber and Fuel Limited and the Niakwa Park Syndicate. [1] Niakwa Place Plaza is located just east of the intersection of Archibald and Fermor.

[1] Winnipeg Free Press , November 17, 1954, p. 3.