home > margaret park

History of Margaret Park


Margaret Park was part of the Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan (established in 1921) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972. 

Margaret Park is a small residential district in the northwest part of the City. It includes the Shaarey Zedek Jewish Cemetery (established in the early 1900s), commercial property along Main Street and the Vince Leah Recreation Centre, named in honour of long-time Winnipeg sports writer Vince Leah.

Most of the residential building stock dates to the 1960s, however there are pockets of older homes, along Leila and Margaret avenues.