home > kirkfield

History of Kirkfield

Heritage Buildings

Kirkfield was part of the City of St. James when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The area known today as the neighbourhood of Kirkfield was developed, along with much of this area of Winnipeg, in the 1960s and 1970s.

The major early development of the area was the opening of the St. Charles Golf and Country Club in 1905 with the construction of the clubhouse and 18-hole golf course. Although early activities included polo, tennis, croquet, steeple-chasing and trapshooting, golf was the focus. [1] The lush course is found at the south end of Country Club Boulevard which features an ornamental street pillar at the Portage Avenue end.

[1] St. Charles Golf and Country Club website, http://www.stcharlescountryclub.ca/guests/clubhistory.php, no date.