home > eric coy

History of Eric Coy


The neighbourhood of Eric Coy was part of the Rural Municipality of Charleswood until it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Eric Coy, for whom this neighbourhood is named, was born in 1913 and rose to great prominence in the track and field from the 1930s to the 1950s. He Captained the Canadian team at the London Olympics of 1948 and is a member of the Canadian Track and Field Hall of Fame, the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame and the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame. He died in 1985. [1] The Eric Coy Centennial Arena, found in the northeast corner of the neighbourhood, was named in his honour in 1970. [2]

The neighbourhood that now bears his name includes commercial property along Grant Avenue, residential development on its east side and some undeveloped areas on the west side. Parts of the neighbourhood, with their drainage ditches, still have a rural feel.

[1] Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame website at http://www.halloffame.mb.ca/honoured/1980/ecoy.htm, 2008.

[2] Winnipeg Free Press , October 31, 1985, p. 54.