home > west kildonan industrial

History of West Kildonan Industrial

Home

West Kildonan Industrial was part of the Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan (incorporated in 1921) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

West Kildonan Industrial began to emerge as a new industrial neighbourhood in the early 1980s, as older established areas filled to capacity. Inland Cement Company occupies a large piece of land in the neighbourhood and the HebrewSickBenefitCemetery, established in 1910, is found in the southwest corner of the area. Much of the neighbourhood is still farmland.

One important occupant is the City of Winnipeg's North End Water Pollution Control Centre (NEWPCC). Built in the 1930s, this plant now treats 70% of all Winnipeg's wastewater (the remainder go to either the West End or South End Water Pollution Control Centre). The NEWPCC also treats all the sludge produced by the other two centres.http://members.shaw.ca/gp.lagasse/process.htm