home > varsity view

History of Varsity View

Home

The neighbourhood of Varsity View was part of the Rural Municipality of Charleswood until it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The area known today as the neighbourhood of Varsity View was until relatively recently, farmland and fields. Like so many other locales west of the City of Winnipeg, the area saw extensive development excitement in the early 1910s. This, more often than not, included newspaper advertisements extolling the virtues of the latest subdivision, including streetcar connections, parks and other amenities. Most of these schemes, because of their isolation, never attracted new home owners and were shelved, including Varsity View. According to Canadian Census data, there were less than 100 houses in the neighbourhood in 1946. [1]

It wasn't until the 1970s that major development occurred, mainly single-family dwellings along its streets. There is also commercial property along Grant Avenue and Roblin Boulevard.


[1] Canada Census , 2001.