home > transcona yards

History of Transcona Yards

Home
Heritage Resources

Transcona Yards was part of the City of Transcona when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

For Transcona, nothing was more important than the Yards, originally operated as the Grand Trunk Pacific/National Transcontinental shops and by the 1920s, and continuing today, as the Canadian National Railways Shops. For many decades, life in Transcona revolved around the shop whistle. Begun in 1911, the shops were a massive industrial complex where everything from engines and boilers to delicate woodworking was handled by a small army of skilled workers, most of whom lived nearby in the City of Transcona. The shops continued to be the major source of employment for the people of Transcona for many decades. While not occupying its traditional primary role, the shops continue to be an important part of life in Transcona.