home > symington yards

History of Symington Yards

Home

Symington Yards were part of the City of St. Boniface when it combined with surrounding municipalities to become the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The Canadian National Railways' Symington Yards take up the majority of land within this neighbourhood, although there are a number of other transportation-related businesses also located in the area in the 1970s and a church and school near its southeast corner. The railway's massive marshalling yards were completed in 1962 with a capacity for storing 7,000 rail cars, one of the largest and most modern in North America. It was named for the Honourable Herbert James Symington (1881-1965), director of the railway.