home > river east

History of River East

Home
Heritage Resources

River East was part of the Rural Municipality of North Kildonan (created in 1925) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

River East developed as a large residential district in northeast Winnipeg in the 1970s, with town houses and apartment complexes as well as many blocks of single family detached homes. Bunn's Creek flows through the northern portion of the area into the Red River and the neighbourhood is dotted with other parks, schools and commercial property.