home > point road

History of Point Road

Home

Point Road was part of the Rural Municipality of Fort Garry (incorporated in 1912) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The Point Road neighbourhood developed slowly in the 1920s with the construction of single-family dwellings. The pace of development quickened after World War II, with much of the building occurring by 1950. Along Pembina Highway is extensive commercial property and Point Road, which cuts diagonally across the neighbourhood, features a number of institutional buildings including churches, schools and seniors' housing.