home > montcalm

History of Montcalm

Home

Montcalm was part of the Rural Municipality of Fort Garry (incorporated in 1912) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Most of the residential development in this neighbourhood is in the form of large multi-tenant apartment blocks and condominiums, with some single family dwellings built in the north. Pembina Highway, with its commercial development, cuts through the neighbourhood on its west side. At the south end is the Victori General Hospital (link- http://www.vgh.mb.ca), located here in 1971 after 60 years at the corner of River Avenue and Bole Street ( 424 River Avenue ). The hospital began as a private facility operated by Dr. Thomas Beath.