home > melrose

History of Melrose

Home

The neighbourhood of Melrose is located in the former City of Transcona when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972. This neighbourhood includes part of Transcona’s central business district along the south side of Regent Avenue. Much of the residential development of the area occurred in the period between the World Wars. [1] The East End Community Club, 517 Pandora Avenue East, is also found in the neighbourhood and was founded in 1946.

[1] Melrose, East Kildonan/Transcona Community Committee Area (Winnipeg, MB: Winnipeg Department of Environmental Planning, 1980), n.p.