home > meadows

History of Meadows

Home

Meadows was part of the City of Transcona when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Located in north Transcona, the Meadows neighbourhood consists of residential property, both single family detached homes and multi-tenant blocks and apartment buildings, commercial development, industrial sites and vacant land.

The neighbourhood also includes the former site of the Dominion Tar & Chemical Company (Domtar) Creosoting Plant on Bellavance (Walker) Street. It operated from 1911 until 1976, employing thousands of area residents producing millions of wooden railway ties. Because of the extensive use of wood preserving chemicals, the Province of Manitoba declared the site an environmental hazard in 1981 and working with Domtar have created the Transcona Bioreserve, which encased the hazardous material onsite.