home > luxton

History of Luxton

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Luxton was part of the City of St. James when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Luxton is one of the City of Winnipeg's earliest permanent, European residential neighbourhoods, its occupation dates to the arrival of the Selkirk Settlers in 1812-1813. Its streets bear the names of some of Western Canada's earliest European settlers. It is also part of the Scotia Street area, a tight-knit region located between Main Street and the Red River from St. John'sPark to KildonanPark.

Luxton's single family dwelling stock dates from many of the City's development eras: with a handful of pre-1900 structures; the majority built in the 1900-1914 period; and most of the remainder being completed by 1945.