home > kern park

History of Kern Park

Home
Heritage Resources

The neighbourhood of KernPark was part of the City of Transcona when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The neighbourhood of Kern Park is a largely residential neighbourhood that includes many of Transcona's earliest single-family dwellings dating to the pre-1920 period. Later housing, both between the World Wars and after World War II, are also found along its streets.

Park Circle, a public open space with the Transcona Cenotaph in the middle, is one of the landmarks of this neighbourhood and of Transcona as a whole. It also includes the north side of Regent Avenue, the commercial centre of Transcona. This section, east of Day Street, was known locally as "Devil's Strip" because when the thoroughfare was finally paved in 1931, it was decided to allow parking in the centre lane and rather than the lighter paving, dark black asphalt was used and nicknamed Devil's Strip.