home > grassie

History of Grassie

Home

Grassie was part of the Rural Municipality of North Kildonan (created in 1925) when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

Grassie, which was formerly referred to as Harbour View South, has developed over many decades - there are homes built in the 1970s interspersed with newer homes and some that have been completed in the last five years. Grassie Boulevard cuts through the neighbourhood in an east-west line. Cordite Road, the neighbourhood's northern boundary, is named for the explosive material, which resembled brown twine that was essential in the manufacture of shells during World War II. Cordite was manufactured in Transcona, in a plant on Dugald Road (Provincial Highway No. 15) east of what today is the Red River Floodway.