home > daniel mcintyre

History of Daniel McIntyre

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Daniel McIntyre was part of the City of Winnipeg when it amalgamated with the surrounding municipalities to form the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The neighbourhood was named for Daniel McIntyre (1852-1946) who was appointed as Inspector and Superintendent of the Winnipeg School District in 1885. Over the next 43 years, he used his knowledge of United States and eastern Canadian school divisions to improve the Division's facilities. Along with James Bertram Mitchell (1852-1945), the Chairman of the Division's Committee on Buildings, the pair was responsible for designing and building public schools that were the envy of divisions across North America.

The Daniel McIntyre neighbourhood in West Winnipeg grew after 1900 to supply the demand for modern housing from new citizens arriving daily. Most of the extant building stock in the neighbourhood is comprised of single family dwellings, the majority dating to the 1900-1914 era.

The West End, as it became known, saw a large concentration of Icelanders settle within its borders, taking their place among the dozens of other cultural groups calling Winnipeg home upon their arrival beginning in the 1880s. Businesses, churches, social organizations all grew as the streets filled with new homes and families. Over time, this concentration lessened but the area's history and development is intimately connected to this group.