home > broadway-assiniboine

History of Broadway-Assiniboine

Home
Heritage Buildings
Heritage Resources

Broadway-Assiniboine was part of the City of Winnipeg when it amalgamated with the surrounding municipalities to form the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The Broadway-Assiniboine neighbourhood is one of the older residential districts in the City of Winnipeg, developed by the Hudson’s Bay Company in the 1870s as the exclusive neighbourhood known as The Reserve.  This area had been given to the Company under the terms of its surrender of Rupert’s Land and was located around the Upper Fort: south of Notre Dame Avenue, east of Colony Creek and north and west of Assiniboine and Red rivers.  Cottages and other structures appeared as early as 1873 and, until the turn of the century, many of Winnipeg’s most prestigious houses were found in the area.  A list of the region’s earlier residents read like a “Who’s Who”of the city.  Numerous managers and owners, an M.P.P., doctors, dentists, barristers, and many other leading citizens lived along Broadway and its cross streets. 

As new areas of exclusive residential property were organized further away from the downtown – Armstrong’s Point, Wellington Crescent – construction of smaller homes and business blocks became more prevalent in The Reserve. Gradually, apartment blocks, small homes and retail buildings replaced the fine houses and once park-like grounds. In the 1950s and 1960s, large, modern office buildings were built along Broadway.