home > booth

History of Booth

Home
Heritage Resources

Booth was part of the City of St. James when it became part of the City of Winnipeg which came into legal existence on January 1, 1972.

The Booth neighbourhood is named for William and Catherine Booth, the couple who founded the Salvation Army in London, England in 1865. Grace Hospital, located in this neighbourhood since 1967, was incorporated as The Salvation Army Grace General Hospital in 1904 (the first of its kind in Canada), located on Ross Avenue and then Preston Avenue in 1906. [1] Booth Drive runs along the east and north sides of the Grace Hospital grounds. In 2008, control of the facility transferred to the Winnipeg Health Authority.


[1] Grace Hospital website, http://www.gracehospital.ca/aboutHistory.html, no date.